Tuesday, March 6, 2007

QUICK RECAP

Bus journey through Northern Thailand - 1 day since my last post

Departure city: Chang Mai
Trip time: 5 hrs
Arrival city: Cha ng Kong

Nearly 5 hours of continual thought ended in no new ideas for my next blog. it is becoming more and more tempting to resort to a traditional, lenghty and detailed blog.

Mekong River Day 1 - 2 days since my last post

Background info: River runs throught Tibet, China, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Its a really neat river with losts of whirlpools, back and undercurrents so at times it is actually difficult to tell which way it is running.

An entire day in a boat and once again I have no thoughts for my next post.

Mekong River Day 2 - 3 days since my last post

I saw an elephant today which is suppose to bring good luck. Maybe i'll have more luck writing an interesting post.

Today - many days since my last post

Ok I haven't written in a while so I'll just dive into it.

Overnight train ride from Bangkok to northern Thailand resulted in the bar closing at 10 and being sent to bed. at 10.30 we were told that if we weren't quiet and if we never went to bed the train workers would call the on board police.

In the north I checked out Thai Boxing, rode and elephant (after the fact it seems really cruel), some cliff jumping and rafting down a river on a bamboo raft. The raft was cool as u could crash into other rafts and splash everyone with water.

Boat ride down the Mekong river - travel from Thailand into Laos - Trip duration 2 days.
It was nice to relax and rest for two days. We stopped and spent the night at a small village called Pakbeng. This is the most corrupt and seedy place ive been to. My short trip in to "town" (used loosely, as the town in one strip of road that goes on for less than a km) ended with more than 5 offers to purchase drugs.

Random piece of info: they don't sell oreos in England... I find this extremely strange.

Currently in Luang Prabang, Laos
Great city colonized by the french. Went to this awesome waterfall called Tad Kuang and even though u weren't suppose to, I sawm under it and it was really cool. Followed by some mini-cliff jumping in the swimming area.

Next stop is the capital, Vientiane but before that I'm gonna get a massage - its clean and only 5 USD for 1 hour.

Cheers

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey mikes!

sounds like you're having tons of fun! Keep writing and posting pics! Darby says she misses you!

See you in a month!